It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:28 am 

I'm coming up on 3.5 years and 30k on my 500x and still very happy with it. More to the point, there's not really anything I've found that's better all around (well, at least that I can afford - a Tiger 800XRT would be dreamy, but I have yet to win the lottery). It's hard to think of a better 'all-around' bike for the price though. Interstate highways = no problem. Commuting or tight maneuvers = easy-peasy. Economical and easy to work on = heck yeah! Off-road = not bad, within limits. It's certainly capable of steeper/harder stuff than my skills allow. I've been pleasantly surprised more than a few times off-road. Although, for downhills, I added a toggle switch to my ABS fuse to be able to turn that off on the fly. ;-)

*** ATTENTION: THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE PRESENTLY UNDER REVIEW BY AND PERMANENTLY STORED AT THE NSA. THE AUTHOR(S) MAY BE CHARGED WITHOUT RECOURSE FOR ANY STATEMENTS DEEMED 'TERRORISTIC', PUNISHABLE BY FINES, IMPRISONMENT, TORTURE, AND/OR DEATH. ***

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:41 am 

Teach wrote:
My wife has a the CB500X as her one and only bike. Lowered. She loves it. I wonder if it might just be "enough". I've ridden it a couple of times, and there isn't much within reasonable range of the speed limit that it won't do. I think I'm past my days of needing eyeball blurring power and speed. I think I'd rather have cheap insurance and great mileage. Do you still like it, MG?

Yeah, still digging it. I put a nice set of soft bags on it (Giant Loop Sisikiyou's), and a Madstad adjustable windshield to improve wind protection, turns out it's a pretty awesome small touring bike. One of the very few stock seats I don't hate, too.

If I have one gripe, it's the suspension. That's where you really see it's bargain basement pedigree, especially leaned over hard in a bumpy corner :o . But, that can be solved.

Sure another 20hp would be nice, but realistically it does everything I need and then some.

I haven't done any big trips on it yet, went up to Wells Grey Prov park camping, and out to Osoyoos a couple of times, it did fine, even on the 120km/h stretches of the Coq.

All in all, one of the great motorcycle bargains IMHO.