It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:30 pm 

End of season for me, insurance expires on the 28th, so yesterday, in the sunshine, I got the bike washed.

Its been a while since I posted on here, don't remember if I mentioned that after my trip to Inuvik, or rather my attempt at Inuvik in June, I took my bike in to have it's 24K service done, plus fix the leaking fork seals, and it ended up costing me $1800. Serves me right taking it to a dealer I suppose. I believe those are BMW rates, what do you think?

Anyways, that kind of killed my desire to ride this season, afraid I might wear something else out that is too expensive for me.

The bike does run nice now anyways, they swapped out spark plugs, checked valves etc. That 24k covers most things.

Swapped out my Anakee wild rear tire for a Mitas E07 and then a couple of days later went across the border for work, and on coming back was pulled in by customs thinking I had bought the tire in US since it still had a bright yellow line going around it. Managed to sort that out. Now I have a purchase receipt in my pocket.

I am contemplating trying Inuvik part 2 next year, since that road is open all the way to Arctic now (Nov 15), it might be cool to see that section before all the hunters kill everything. ;)

Anyways, enough rambling, enjoy your day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:39 pm 

Hey BM, long time no post lol.

Yeah, $1800 is a bit steep I guess, although they did disassemble your front end. You get killed on labor charges installing $30 dollar parts (or whatever fork seals cost for a big DL). The BMW rates are not that different, it's the cost of parts that's obscene.

I'm surprised the border guards gave you a hard time about the new tires, there's no duty on them anyway, or there didn't use to be. I used to bring new sets back all the time with no issues.

Well, my bike is sort of winterized too (first time I've ever done that lol), although it's always a quick matter to get it out on the road. I paid for a year's insurance and rode it maybe 4000km (as opposed to the usual 20 or 30 thousand). Seems like a waste.

I hope you do get back up north, your pics are always great. Travelling vicariously... I must be getting old...